Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Retirement or a New Career?

A few months ago I submitted an article of our story to International Living Magazine.  Today I opened my email to find a letter from the editor stating that they are running my article in the next issue, and they even pay me for my services.  The shy little girl from Jersey is now a published writer with her first article in one of the top magazines in the world.

Anyone that's ever considered moving, living or retiring abroad has glanced upon the pages of International Living Magazine.  It has become the premier magazine for "selling the dream" of retiring or living abroad.  Along with the magazine they hold seminars in various countries taking readers by the hand and showing them everything they need to know to take the plunge. International Living Magazine started from a small idea 30 years ago and now has over 400,000 readers world wide. 

As a little girl in New Jersey, I had the dream of someday becoming a writer and seeing my name in print.  I worked for the Paterson News back in New Jersey for a short time and did write for publication, but the articles were nothing too exciting.  Journalistic writing was not enjoyable for me, as I prefer more creative writing. When I write I try to create a picture through words, so that my readers can see what I see.  Recently I found a scrap book with my old "by lines" preserved inside and it brought back so many memories. 

There is an online newsletter called "Ex-pat Blog" that selected this blog as "Blog of the Month" and also published an interview with me online.  Another reward for my efforts and willingness to share our experience with the world.

Click on the link below to check it out!



Since we stopped working and I started this blog, so many of my faithful followers have encouraged me with kind words to pursue this dream.  Finally I have the time to sit down and write and have plenty to write about in this new foreign land.  Hopefully with one published article to my name, this will give me the self confidence that I need to write and submit more.  The nice thing is that I don't have to write to make a living, but while living I can enjoy writing.....along the gringo trail.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the writing gig! You have a pretty cool style, relaxed and content, just like Panama!

    That mindset is why we have chosen to make Panama our part time home We hopoe to bring ourselves down island (sorry an old lifestyle drifts in-that's what it means to daisy chain the Caribe on on one's boat). down to Panama for half year basis.

    Love your blog!

    Phyllis (aka IslandShamrock)

    ReplyDelete

Life In Portugal....At A Snails Pace....

Yesterday was just another day in Portugal when my dear husband Clyde said he was going to run to the pharmacy for a few things. Time passed...